¡Bienvenidos a Madrid!

It's been a busy first few days!  We've been meeting our host families, getting familiar with the city (and the metro!), and brushing up on some basics with our instructors.

On a walking tour, we stopped in front of el monumento de Cervantes (con Don Quixote y Sancho Panza) en la Plaza de España.

We quickly learned how open and upfront most Spaniards are.  This comes in many forms, but one of which includes their acceptance of everyone, even those who approach them on the street asking how old they are.

After our first set of classes, we went to Las Ventas, a famous bullfighting stadium, where we learned about the history of bullfighting, saw a demonstration of how to use la capa, and visited the museum.

Today, we went on a bike tour of Madrid, despite the 36+ degree weather (almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit).  We found some interesting ways to cool off, including a small zipline (we were desperate for a breeze) and a splash pad, where some local kids taught us that no one leaves the splash pad dry.

Proximamente: we have a Karaoke night with our host families on Friday and a trip to Segovia this weekend.

¡Hasta luego!
Julia