Bem-vindos a Portugal!

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Erica Edwards

Bem-vindos a Portugal!

Our session two students arrived in Portugal this weekend, enthusiastic to dive right into their Aquatic Ecosystems program!

Our first week in the stunning seaside town of Setûbal has given them the opportunity to get to know their classmates, their surroundings and their marine biology coursework.

This week's focus in the classroom is setting sustainable development goals, learning about river and estuary ecosystems and discussing the cause and effect of our actions on marine ecosystems. We've picked up a few key phrases in Portuguese (obrigado/a!) and have especially learnt how to order a gelato to beat the heat on these sunny summer days.

Outside of the classroom, we've explored the history of Setûbal, discovered hidden gems as part of a team building scavenger hunt, tasted lots of local Portuguese gastronomy and even taken a dip in the sea. Our adventurous eaters have devoured some of the most delightful local specialties, like octopus, cuttlefish and of course, pastéis de Belém - the most famous pastry of Portugal.

With spirits high and the team eager to explore more of Portugal, we're excited to set outside of the city on our first overnight excursion this weekend to river kayak, stargaze and be awed by medieval architecture.