Off to Another Side of the World

Dedipta B.

Hi, my name is Dedipta and this summer I'll be traveling to Barcelona, Spain. I'm pretty excited, but nervous at the same time. I applied to this program with only the hope to travel and discover. At first I couldn't believe I got in, but now a day off from the airport I see this is my reality and it overwhelms me with both a little eagerness and a little anxiousness. I love exploring and spend a great load of time exploring new places in my city. I love learning new languages and meeting new people and truth be told sitting in Spanish class doesn't immediately make you the most fluent Spanish speaker in the world. Hopefully by interacting with locals I can improve my Spanish and easily start up a conversation with anyone in the near future.

My family has so far been really supportive with me even though they're pretty nervous. They wish the best for me and want me to learn a lot from this experience. It's honestly nice to see how much they care for me. I know my mom will miss me a lot and I will miss her too, but she knows she's letting me go for the best. She also wants me to travel, live my dream, and learn more about myself. 

I'm really going to miss my family and my home, but I'm ready to see another side of this world. I'm still a nerve of excitement and nervousness, but after a week goes by hopefully I'll calm down. I can't wait to meet my host family and learn more about them and most of all I can't wait to see Barcelona and fall in love with the place. Today, I might be sad about leaving New York City, but who knows tommorow I might be sad about leaving Barcelona. Let's see.