Engineering & Innovation
Alongside engineering professionals, investigate how Germany is designing creative solutions for major global problems. Conduct research and come home with a proposal that addresses a current engineering challenge.
Credentials For Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, and a proposal showcasing your application of engineering concepts and ideas on how to solve a complex real-world problem.
Life Skills And New Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and improved communication and leadership skills. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours Of Expert Instruction
Weeks Pursuing Your Passion
Welcome to Berlin, one of Europe’s most vibrant capitals and a powerhouse in engineering and innovation.
Berlin—with its urban grit, historic landmarks, and progressive mindset—lies between the Spree and Havel rivers in northeastern Germany. The city is adorned with modern buildings, lush parks, and incredible street art among famous sites like the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial, the Berlin Wall Memorial, which once marked the division of the city into East and West. Over the past three decades, Berlin has witnessed numerous innovations addressing the challenges of the past, present, and future—spanning improvements to electricity lines, roads, bridges, transportation, defense, airspace, aeronautics, and more. Renowned for its high-quality products and engineering prowess, Germany boasts a rich tradition of investing in science, technology, and engineering. There's a reason why the "Made in Germany" label is celebrated worldwide.
This tolerant and multicultural metropolis attracts people from all across the globe, with over 20% of its population hailing from non-German backgrounds. Its resulted in a unique mix of cultures coexisting all in one place. Get ready to taste various international flavors alongside traditional German cuisine!
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Berlin.
On Wednesday, students made the journey to the town of Oranienburg. This excursion was quite different from our others since the destination was the memorial center at the site of... keep reading
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Discover new technologies at the Futurium, an environmentally-focused museum allowing you to live out different scenarios in the future.
- Join a workshop on robotics, solar panel construction, e-Bikes, and more at the Technical University Berlin.
- Experience Ferropolis, known as “the city of iron,” where you can explore excavations, civil and architectural engineering marvels, and big rig machinery.
- Visit the innovative real-world laboratory of Roof Water-Farm, working with new technologies to clean water and grow food in urban settings.
- See how some of the best sports cars in the world are created on a tour of the Porsche factory in Leipzig, two hours south of Berlin.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)