Information for term Italian Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 13 – Jul 10, 2021 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 11 – Aug 7, 2021 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Immerse yourself in Rome’s rich culture
Few experiences rival the opportunity to study abroad in Rome. Nowhere else can students walk among thousands of years of art, history, and exciting layers of contemporary Italian culture, while surrounded by unparelleled churches, monuments, and museums.
Rome is the home of three major universities. Learning here is a local specialty and as much a centerpiece of daily life as fine foods. The language skills and experiences you’ll gain here will equip you for further exploration throughout Italy’s peninsula.
Each day after language classes, You’ll share meals, shop at local markets, learn local customs, and enjoy everyday life – and gelato! By the end of your stay, your proficiency will have grown by leaps and bounds.
You’ll also be able to put your new skills into practice while conversing with local program leaders, who will help you to discover the city from a true Roman’s perspective!
60 hours of instruction in Italian by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college.
A certificate of learning in Italian, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
With a history spanning 3,000 years, Rome is one of the most culturally rich cities in the world.
Ancient statues adorn museums housing priceless paintings and archaeological treasures. On this program you’ll visit major landmarks, including the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Saint Peter’s Basilica, Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel Ceiling, and charming piazzas. The Vatican Museums contain enough valuables to keep you busy for days.
During guided tours and onsite workshops and activities you’ll discover historical monuments, architectural icons and artistic masterpieces spanning antiquity, the Renaissance, Baroque and more modern periods.
What else can you do in Rome? View Renaissance paintings and catch up with the latest fashion by window shopping. Eat gelato! People-watch in busy cafes, grab a plate of pasta or pizza al taglio (pizza by the slice), and live your gap experience with gusto!
Daily LifeClick to Open
"We are all coming from so many different places and backgrounds but we are able to come together through our passion of travelling and experiencing other’s lives (as well as eating pizza)...".
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Students will be housed in a residence hall, with Italian program leaders
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Climb to the top of St. Peter’s dome.
- View the Colosseum, Vatican, Spanish Steps and other iconic sites in Rome.
- Take a cooking class in the world’s gastronomical capital.
- Learn how gelato is made in one of Roman most famous "gelateria" and then taste plenty!
- Bike around the famous Villa Borghese park on a pedal-powered treasure hunt.
- Picnic at the 17th century Villa Pamphili and play soccer on its vast public green.
- Take a day trip to the hills of Tivoli, home to two Unesco World Heritage Sites with grand Renaissance villas and gardens.
- Soak up some history, culture and sights on a day trip to Ostia Antica, the “Pompeii-like” harbor of ancient Rome, where you’ll be transported to antiquity as you stroll along the magnificent remains and learn about the daily life of the Romans.
- Shake it out on the rhythm of Italian folkloric dance Tarantella.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances, covid-related measures and restrictions and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
|Summer Session I 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 13, 2021||Jul 10, 2021||
|Summer Session II 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 11, 2021||Aug 7, 2021||