Zip-Lining and El Tigre Waterfalls

Katie Fennessey

Katie Fennessey

In a very busy weekend for our Women in STEM, we had multiple off campus excursions! Saturday morning started early with thr group traveling to El Tigre Waterfalls. Here we hiked over three miles, saw five different waterfalls, and even swam in a lagoon to cool off from our hike. We then rode horses up the mountain to return to the start of the trails!

Fairy, Elsa, and Shiely walk with PL Megan!
Taking a quick break to swim!
Finally made it to the top!

Sunday was equally busy with early travels to Salventura - an adventure park here in Monteverde. The girls spent over two hours zip-lining through the cloud forest! The sights were amazing and the experience was breath taking! Each girl moved through eight zip lines, and many completed a tarzan swing! We learned about how zip lining can be seen as a form of conservation as it allows people to observe and interact with the environment without negatively impacting it!

Ania, Val, Elsa, Zora, and Audrey get excited to zip line!
Vicky does the tarzan swing after zip lining!

Even after these long days, the girls got together each night to hang out! Saturday night was a song-filled karaoke night. We sang along to Disney classics, Hamilton hits, and had a performance that would make Nicki Minaj jealous!  We finished the weekend with a movie night on Sunday, where many girls watched She's the Man for the first time! 

Karaoke night with WIS!

In a very special event, one of our WIS, Lucy Upton, celebrated her 17th birthday while in Costa Rica! The CIEE staff were kind enough to make her a beautiful cake to celebrate with.

Celebrating Lucy's birthday in Monteverde!

We are all thankful for the experiences and looking forward to those ahead in our last week in Monteverde!