Welcome to Palma STEM Session 1 2023!!!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jordan Peebles

Hello and bienvenidos to Palma de Mallorca!! We’ve all been eagerly awaiting the arrival of our global navigator high school students and the day has finally come. Everyone arrived safely (and in good spirits despite some long travels and luggage mishaps!) to the airport throughout the day today and were able to meet their homestay families and be taken to see their wonderful new lodgings. Students also got to meet some of the CIEE staff, and of course their fellow peers, that they’ll be seeing a lot of over the next three weeks.

Photo for blog post Welcome to Palma STEM Session 1 2023!!!

After a busy day of arrivals, logistics, and meeting new people, I hope our students will be able to sleep well tonight and hopefully fend off some jet lag! After this first night of getting to know their host families and some well deserved rest, we will start bright and early tomorrow with our orientation at our local campus, which students will be introduced to in the morning. Orientation will last a few days and cover a lot of important topics such as diversity and inclusion, bystander intervention training, cultural immersion tips, and healthy safety and security tactics, just to name a few.

Students meeting their host mom, Amparo!

I don’t want to spoil the rest of what we’ll be doing during these incredible three weeks because you will definitely be able to read all about it on this blog site!! However I will give just a tiny sneak peek into some things you can look forward to hearing about from the program leaders (and hopefully some students if we’re lucky!) You can expect to read about some class work, cultural activities like a visit to the cathedral or Bellver castle, and service learning activities/excursions like a beach cleanup or a visit to a protected island. The fun never stops with CIEE here in Palma :)

Well, I hope you enjoy reading all our blogs over the next few weeks and get to see our students having the time of their lives. Hasta luego for now and WELCOME to all our new students!!!!