Weekend in Cesky Krumlov

Art-Making in Prague's Creative Studios

Allison Aubry

This last weekend we traveled to Cesky Krumlov for the weekend and got to witness the beauty of a preserved medieval town. Upon our entrance into the town, we were in awe of the architecture and big rock formations, bridges and every small detail in front of our eyes. Our first night we dined in an old jail and enjoyed various meats and really good baked potatoes. On Saturday, we spent majority of our day at the Egon Schiele Art Centrum where we viewed all different types of artwork and then spent the whole afternoon with the illustrator and animator, Toybox. It truly was a once In a lifetime opportunity to work this closely with an artist in her own studio space and to watch her process of working. After that session,  the students had 6 hours of free time to explore the city on their own. The city is shaped like an omega and Nikki and I sat atop one of the gardens and were able to see the kids exploring from this viewpoint. It was so funny to see them exploring and yell their names. On Sunday, we did a tour of the town with a guide and we also explored castles and towers. For lunch, we tried traditional Czech food, including the sweet dumplings! We then headed to a vintage photography studio and got to play dress up and take photos and videos. The kids had a blast here! After all of that fun, we headed back to the bus to make our joruney back to Prague. When we got back to the hotel, we had a little pizza party and movie night together. This group has became fast friends and super bonded and it has been adorable to watch. It will be really hard to say goodbye to these kids as we are in the last week! This week I am really looking forward to seeing the kids artwork on display and do our final reflections. Please follow @msaubry_art to see updates live. 

Kids
Me