Visiting El Museo del Traje - The Garment Museum!

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Nicoletta Feldman

With temperatures reaching a high of 101° today in Madrid, our Global Navigators from my group and Parisa's group needed a way to beat the heat – and visiting the Museo del Traje (The Garment Museum) was the perfect way to do so!

Having opened its doors in 2004, the Museo del Traje is relatively new to the Madrid museum scene. Students were able to see clothes and outfits that dated all the way back to the 16th century up through modern-day fashion. Luckily for us, the wonderful Sara (a member of the CIEE Madrid staff) was able to accompany us on our visit and act as our tour guide throughout the museum! With Sara's help, we were able to learn so much more about the clothes on display, and understand how the clothes themselves reflect the societal changes that took place during the time periods that they come from. It was such a great way to uncover more about Spanish history in a non-traditional way - our visit to the Museo del Traje today really emphasized the fact that learning comes in all shapes and sizes.