Pizza a la parrilla? ... Yes, please!!!

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Eblin Molina

Pizza is a favorite food of our students and one of our afternoon cultural activities was to learn how to make pizza. This was not just an ordinary pizza. This was a re-delicious pizza cooked a la parrilla (on a type of grill). Our cooking instructor started by explaining the importance of measuring the basic ingredients to make the perfect pizza dough to get a thin crust that is pleasingly crispy on the outside and soft inside. Volunteers measured the ingredients and did the mixing. A few minutes later, everybody got a piece of the dough to knead until it formed a soft ball that needed to rest to let it double in size (about 25 minutes).

The entertainment, while waiting for the dough to rise, was a jumbo size Jenga game. It was a lot of fun for the kids who played the game as well as for those who just watched. Some others preferred to help prepare the toppings for the pizzas: onions, peppers, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and of course cheese! After a few rounds of Jenga, the dough was ready to be shaped and placed on the parrilla. Everyone made their own pizza using the ingredients of their preference and enjoying it as soon as it came out of the parrilla. The smell was amazing and each pizza was reported to taste delicious!

We all know how to make a pizza on the grill now. Hopefully some will try to replicate the experience when they get home and share it with friends and family.