Les Flâneurs of the Latin Quarter

Mackenzie A.

Photo for blog post Les Flâneurs of the Latin Quarter

By the third day. CIEE Paris students use French in full swing: in morning classes from 9am to lunchtime, on scavenger activities in the community, and at home with host families. On their first day in Paris, students signed a Language Pledge to practice immersion for significant improvement and understanding of the language in context of daily life.

Students recieve a daily speaking task to practic nearby in the community, then rejoin for group excursions.

The Latin Quarter

Yesterday's excursion led us "flâneurs," or people who stroll while admiring the surroundings, on a walking tour throughout the Latin Quarter. We started at the Saint Michel fountain and regrouped in the Luxembourg Gardens. The guides shared much information in French, then elaborated in French and English as students asked questions. Some students expressed surprise upon discussin how one-third of the English langauge comes from French! Be careful though--the languages are full of "faux amis," words that appear the same though do not share meaning. For example, ancien/ancient. In French, if ancien comes before the noun, it means previous or former instead of long lasting. 

Adapting to Challenges that Arise

Along with many other new experiences, the students are adapting well to the unexpected... such as the downpour on our walking tour! With the unexpected and regular challenges of cultural immersion that arise each day, students continue to develop the lifelong skill of adaptability and perserverence. Each day, they get better at asking questions in French and communicating what they want to express—better and better chaque jour!