Interesting conversations, new friends, and the Russian countryside!

Liz McBean

As the first week drew to a close, our students set out to explore the Russian countryside not far from the Gulf of Finland by visiting a Russian summer camp dedicated to academic debate in “Lisy Nos”. A group of Russian high school students and our students spent the morning getting to know one another, before diving into a roundtable discussion about the arts in the U.S. and in Russia.

Photo for blog post Interesting conversations, new friends, and the Russian countryside!

Students discussed how each country funds the arts, and questioned how state or private funding influences the content of the artwork. Discovering the differences in each country’s arts world, in terms of mode & production, and more, helped us to look more deeply at what is behind the art we see. Some interesting highlights of the conversation were discussing what arts are most popular amongst Russian and American teens, and comparing Russia’s growing rap culture with the U.S.’s.