Enjoying nature in a big city

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Eblin Molina

Buenos Aires is a big and gorgeous city, where you can find beautiful parks and plazas to relax and enjoy nature. But if you want to escape the noises of the city and be surrounded by trees, water, and relaxing sounds of birds, Buenos Aires has the perfect place: La Reserva Ecológica Costanera Sur. La Reserva is located between Puerto Madero neighborhood and Río de la Plata, just a few miles from downtown Buenos Aires.

For one of our cultural activities, we took a ‘colectivo’ to get to La Reserva. Our group of over 40 people filled the bus and about 25 minutes later we arrived in Puerto Madero, which is a beautiful neighborhood with wide streets and luxurious skyscrapers. We walked a few blocks and admired the modern architecture that identifies Puerto Madero. After a short walk, we arrived at the entrance of La Reserva. There, we took a few minutes to sit, delight on the view, and learn about this protected natural area before immersing ourselves in what it has to offer to everyone that visits it.

Our students were able to explore some of the almost 865 acres that are part of La Reserva, walk on the nice paths, breathe fresh and clean air, see many of the 575 different plant species that are found here, and watch some of the over 300 different bird species that live in this area. Various species of reptiles, mammals, and fish are also found in La Reserva. The kids had a wonderful time touring La Reserva, while sharing laughs and taking photos. They were amazed when they reached the river. They did not expect it to be so wide that you are not able to see the other side!

Besides having a great time being outside in this spectacular place, many of our students met local people while walking on the paths and ended the day with new friends! For sure this experience will stay with all of us for a very long, long time.