Cádiz

Danielle Mason

"Our trip to Cádiz began with traveling from Seville via bus, passing beautiful orchards, fields, and rolling hills of sunflowers along the way. Upon reaching the city, the smell of salt in the air reminded us that the beach (the highlight of the trip for most) was near. Several students even burst into song due to the overwhelming excitement of going to "la playa". But first, we had a tour of the beautiful city of Cádiz. Our tour guide began by showing us the monument to the Constitution of 1812, and then we visited the Ayuntamiento, or city hall. Next, we walked through the cathedral, which was exquisitely detailed and beautiful both inside and out. A mummified young girl in the crypt of the church proved very spooky yet fascinating. Our next stop was the Torre Tavira, an old watchtower and highest point in the city. The climb was long, but the view from the tower was well worth the trek. We were also mesmerized by the tower’s Camera Obscura, a contraption which projects a moving, live image of the city onto a screen in a dark room inside the building. After descending the numerous flights of stairs once again, it was at last time to hit the beach! After walking barefoot across the warm, soft sand, we laid down our towels near the water. While some preferred to relax in the sun, others made a beeline for the ocean. Additional beach activities included digging holes (and burying people inside them), drawing in the sand, frolicking in the waves and, of course, people watching. The rising tide also proved challenging and forced us to relocate on several occasions. After a fun day in Cádiz and at the beach, we returned to Seville feeling educated, enthusiastic and grateful to have avoided any serious sunburns." -Champ Turner

Photo for blog post Cádiz

Photo for blog post Cádiz

Photo for blog post Cádiz

A big thank  you to Champ for agreeing to be a guest blogger and for sharing his perspective on our day in Cádiz!

Photo for blog post Cádiz
Champ working on a project for class in Sevilla.