Bienvenidos a Palma!!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jordan Peebles

Welcome to sunny Palma de Mallorca! Our global navigators have finally made it to Palma and we couldn't be more excited! Everyone arrived safely on Sunday and were promptly introduced to their new host families that they'll be staying with for the next 3 weeks. After a well deserved night of sleep (and hopefully beating jet lag,) we then started our orientation bright and early on Monday morning.

Photo for blog post Bienvenidos a Palma!!

Between Monday and Tuesday all our new friends were introduced to their Program Leaders, the CIEE Staff, their teachers, and of course to each other! We got to do some fun icebreaker activities, complete a Diversity Training, stop for ice cream, explore the city of Palma, and of course hangout on the beach. Students also got to experience their first day of both Marine Biology and Spanish classes on Tuesday. Looking forward to everything we will be learning in these next 3 weeks!

On Tuesday afternoon we also got to explore the beautiful beach at Portals Nous, the first of many breathtaking beaches we will get to visit together this summer! This was our first service-learning activity and we all got to do a bunch of cool activities like beach trash pickup, paddle boarding, and learning about a cool company focused on cleaning the world’s sea and ocean waters named Seabin. We will definitely be focusing on environmentalism and protecting our planet throughout the entirety of our program so this was a great first service-learning activity!

Well, hasta luego, goodbye for now and we are so so excited to see what the rest of the summer has in store for us :)