In this incredible country, you'll have the opportunity to explore some of the most amazing places in South America, including the Amazon, the spectacular mountaintop ruins of Machu Picchu, and the ancient capital of Cuzco. As a volunteer teacher in Peru, you'll work side by side with a Peruvian colleague, opening up new opportunities for local students who have limited educational resources.
You'll be working with students in a small town in the Sacred Valley, Cuzco, as part of the English Everyday initiative – a program developed by CIEE and the local public school, Colegio Bernado Tambohueso, that promotes English language learning for local children in Pisac, Peru. You'll have the opportunity to develop your skills as an educator, designing and teaching English lessons under the guidance of a Peruvian teacher.
Teach abroad in Peru with CIEE, and you can:
- Make a lasting difference in the lives of children in a small ancient town, in the heart of the Inca’s Sacred Valley
- Share meals, life, and local customs with new Peruvian friends and your host family
- Visit spectacular locations, from Peru’s Machu Picchu, one of the seven modern wonders, to the towering trees of the Amazon rainforest
- Gain valuable teaching experience and a certificate from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP), the most prestigious university in Peru
A rewarding job opportunity that includes:
- Pre-departure placement at Colegio Bernado Tambohueso in the town of Pisac, Cuzco
- Valuable international volunteer experience to bolster your resume
- A Certificate of Education for Social Change from Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP)
- Opportunity to teach in a multicultural, multilingual environment which includes Spanish and Quechua, the local indigenous language.
- Housing with a host family and two meals a day
Teaching programs that deliver more, including:
- Teaching and program guides to help you plan and prepare
- A one-day professional development seminar in Pisac to help you get the most from your experience
- Networking and group-building with fellow CIEE volunteers
Assistance to make your journey easier, including:
- Pre-departure guidance to help you:
- Decide if this is the right program for you
- Apply online for Teach Abroad
- Prepare for your experience with valuable professional development
- Airport transfer upon arrival
- International medical insurance and 24-hour worldwide assistance with CIEE iNext international insurance
- In-country support from CIEE staff
A trip to Peru with CIEE is a journey deep into human history and potential. Nestled in the Andes Mountains on South America’s west coast, Peru has a history that stretches back 10,000 years, to the time of the thriving ancient civilizations of the Moche and the Inca. Today, Peru presents a colorful tapestry of indigenous cultures and Spanish traditions.
The community where the school is located is in the town of Pisac, in the Sacred Valley of the Cuzco region, known for its artisans. It is at least 500 years old, dating back to the pre-Colombian times and includes western and indigenous communities as well as a neighborhood of foreigners. The town receives hundreds of tourists a day because of its famous artisan market, but the majority does not stay to get to know the people and their daily struggles as they work to educate their children and modernize their town. As a volunteer, you will have a unique opportunity to have an insider’s view of the culture, to help with education, and to create bonds with the local people. The accommodations in host families are rustic, with limited access to internet, laundry is hand-washed, and there is no central heating. Although you may not have common luxuries you are used to, you will have an unparalleled experience and the opportunity to form new, lifelong friends!
Preparation and Support
You'll see the CIEE difference can be clearly seen in the quality of our offerings and the diversity of the cultural exchange opportunities we provide. Our unmatched preparation and comprehensive support are carefully designed to make your journey easy, enjoyable and successful.
Your CIEE program fee covers all the essential elements, including:
- Confirmation of your teaching assignment before you depart
- Assistance preparing for your trip
- An in-country orientation program and support from CIEE staff
- iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance services
- Accommodation and most meals with a host family
Before you leave
We want to make sure you have everything you need to teach abroad, from details about your job to sound advice on how to settle into your new teaching position.
Enrollment in a Teach Abroad program includes pre-departure support and materials to best prepare you for your trip abroad. You also can call us with any questions – our knowledgeable staff is ready to help.
You do not need a pre-departure visa for this program. You’ll be given a six-month tourist visa on arrival, which gives you plenty of time to travel and explore the country after your one-month program ends!
When you arrive
CIEE understands that it can be overwhelming to land in an unfamiliar country. You’ll have many questions, and you may feel like you have so much to learn. We’re here to help and make you feel welcome.
When you arrive, you’ll attend a one-day orientation and professional development session that features:
- Workshops to prepare you to live, work, and learn in Peru
- Intercultural competence seminars to help you get the most of your experience
- Professional development seminars to help you apply your experience to future goals
- Networking opportunities with other participants
- Fun events in Pisac and the Sacred Valley to introduce you to Peruvian culture
- Meals and lodging
You’ll live with a local host family, practicing your Spanish as you prepare and share meals, shop at local markets, and mingle with villagers who are bilingual in Spanish and Quechua, the local indigenous language. It’s all part of the mix, or mestizaje, of Andean and Catholic traditions, and of old and new — and New Age — that makes this South American experience so unique. You’ll stay with a carefully screened host family near to the school, close to other CIEE volunteers. Breakfast and dinner are included. Please note that dinner in Peru is a lighter meal; the main meal is served at lunchtime.
iNext travel insurance
There’s enough to think about when you travel overseas. Peace of mind is priceless, and CIEE provides it by including insurance as part of every Teach Abroad program. U.S. resident participants are covered by iNext, which supplements your private insurance to cover the cost of accidents and unplanned medical attention while abroad. The policy also offers emergency evacuation coverage with 24-hour worldwide assistance.
Learn more about iNext
CIEE TEFL courses are a terrific way to get ready for your teaching adventure!
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification gives you the skills, experience, and confidence that makes this journey even more rewarding, both for you and those you teach. Our cutting-edge coursework is conducted online, so you can participate from almost anywhere.
Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, our 150-hour TEFL certification course ensures that you:
- Get feedback on your progress, along with fellow classmates in an interactive environment led by a single tutor
- Develop an awareness of the field and practices of TEFL
- Understand the components of English related to teaching of nonnative speakers
- Can design lessons for TEFL students at a variety of levels
- Can create appropriate lesson plans in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Practice your new skills with a 20-hour teaching practicum
CIEE 150-hour certification courses begin every two weeks. Learn more.
Teach English Abroad with Confidence