Fall...ing

Athanasia A.

What does someone think when hearing the word "seasons"? Undeniably, in most cases our brain recalls the life history of a tree foliage. As beautiful as the foliage may seem at the time of its genesis on a warm summer day, equally astonishing it is just before falling to the ground, when day gets shorter and temperature lower. In areas, like New England, where each season can be sensed by its distinct characteristics, from late September through early November, it is the season to enjoy the landscape of fall foliage.

My eye always used to get enchanted by the vibrant colors of autumn leaves. Later on, during the bachelor years, it was the time to learn as a biology student that this phenomenon lies upon the degradation of chlorophyll, responsible for the green color of the leaves, into a variety of other molecules called pigments. Pigments, including carotenoids, flavonoids and anthocyanins,  are combined in different ways in different plants, to produce a palette of warm colors shades, varying from yellow to deep red. As fall approaches winter, and chlorophyll diminishes, abscission occurs and leaves break apart from the tree to let it survive through the cold period.

Few years after, my training in Boston would give me the opportunity to capture foliage at the peak of its expression. And while foliage is combined with celebrations and holidays, like Haloween and Thanksgiving, this seems to be the warmest way for transitioning to winter, in the rale race of seasons!