What to Do in Palma de Mallorca

Morgan R.

After being in the bustling city center of Madrid, if the warm sun and salty waves of the beach are calling to you, then Palma, Mallorca is a great place to go. 

My roommate and I booked round-trip flights for only 40 euros, and got a relaxing weekend soaking up rays on the beach. 

If you're looking for some beach or sightseeing recommendations in Palma, then keep on reading; however, there aren't as many sightseeing recommendations, as we spent a lot of time on the beach, but there are some great tips to make the best of your time in Palma!

1. Cathedral

During this trip, I told my roommate that all these old cathedrals and churches we see are starting to blend together, but I will remember Palma's for a while. It is one of the most impressive I've seen.

There is also a little farmers market with several stalls located in the surrounding area that are worth exploring.

2. Royal palace

The royal palace of Mallorca is located right next to the cathedral. We didn't go inside, but if this is something that interests you then you can get a ticket to do that.

3. Platja de Can Pere Antoni

Located within walking distance of the cathedral, this beach wasn't too crowded for being the closest one to the city center. There are a couple little shops and restaurants located nearby.

4. Castel del Bellver

With its unique architecture and location on top of a hill, this circular castle was one of my highlights of Palma. You can enter the castle for free to explore its small museum, as well as be rewarded with magnificent views of the city and harbor. 

Pro-tip: there is a set of stairs that will take you directly to the top. Unaware of these stairs on the way up, my roommate and I hiked a path through the hillside to get there. I would suggest the stairs. 

5. Platja de Cala Major

We spent our second day in Palma at this beach. Slightly smaller than the first one, it felt a bit more crowded; however, the water was much clearer and the beach less rocky. It's located in a little cove and has a cool sea arch off to the side. There are many shops and restaurants very close by.

This beach was an hour from our hostel so we took a bus. The bus system in Palma is easy to navigate, and costs 2 euros per trip (except for the bus to and from the airport, which is 5). 

6. Murmui

Since my roommate and I were being babes on a budget, I only got gelato once while in Palma, a true tragedy. However, the place we went is worth mentioning because they have vegan gelato. My roommate, being the dairy free queen she is, was excited to have chocolate gelato she could eat. If you have a dietary restricted friend, this would be a good place to take them.

7. Soho

This is a cool, 70s themed bar located in the city center. Drinks are pretty average priced and it is vibrant with international people on a Saturday night. It's a great place to hangout and meet new people, or to start off a bigger night out.

My advice to save money in Palma is to take a trip to the grocery store when you first get in. My roommate and I got stuff to make wraps, which we took to the beach for lunch everyday. There are restaurants located nearby, but they are expensive as they’re right on the water. We would pack our lunch each day, and then get dinner on the way back to our hostel when we left the beach.

If I had another day in Palma, or if you wanna just spend one day on the beach instead of two like me, I would bus to the east coast of the island and explore there. There are some beautiful beaches there, as well as historical towns that would be fun to explore.