Madrid Day Trips: Toledo & Segovia

Morgan R.

This past weekend, some Aux friends and I took two day trips outside of Madrid. On Saturday we visited the beautiful town of Toledo, and Sunday we trekked North to Segovia. Both trips were relatively cheap, within about an hour of Madrid, and easily coverable in one day.

First stop: Toledo

When I told my students I was born in a town in Ohio named Toledo, they told me that I was from the fake Toledo and had to go visit the real one; so that’s what my roommate and I did. 

We bought our train tickets directly on the Renfe website because it was the cheapest option; however, we discovered that once you get your abono, you can get train tickets to Toledo for free! So if Toledo is a must for you, then I suggest you wait till your abono comes in. 

1. Puente de Alcantara

The train will drop you off just a short walk outside of the city center. We crossed into the city center using this bridge with spectacular views of the city and the river Tagus.

2. Plaza de Zocodover

This central plaza is home to many little shops and cafes. There is one shop that specializes in Marzipan, a unique sweet originating from Toledo.

3. Alcazar

The Alcazar is the highest point in the city. There is a library and cafeteria on the top floors that offer good views of the city.

4. Catedral primada de Toledo

The main cathedral in Toledo, next door to the Alcazar, is an impressive sight. You have to pay to tour the inside, but if you go in the back door where the worship area is, you can get a glimpse of the inside.

5. Museo del Greco

The house of Greco, a famous artist from Toledo, has been turned into a museum housing several of his works. If you go after 2 pm, you can get free entry.

6. Sinagoga de Santa Maria La Blanca

This synagogue is named for its stark white interior. If you are interested in touring the inside, you can buy a wristband for 12 euros that grants you entrance to several places in Toledo, including the synagogue, the Monasterio de San Juan de Los Reyes, and the Mosque of Cristo de la Luz. 

7. Puente San Martin

This medieval bridge is on the other side of town from the first one, and is just as impressive. Also, located nearby, I Fly Toledo offers ziplining across the river, going the length of the bridge, for 10 euros.  While the length is a little short, it is fairly cheap. 

And lastly, the part everyone is waiting for: the best gelato spot in Toledo. Because of my obsession, I had gelato from three different places during my day there, so I can confidently say the best place to get it is Martonela. I got the cheesecake flavor and it was some of the best gelato I’ve had in Europe so far. Definitely a must!

Next stop: Segovia

Being a huge Marvel fan, all I could hear when someone said Segovia was Sokovia. Luckily, there is no Ultron in Segovia, but, unfortunately, there are also no Avengers. There are however some pretty cool sights!

My roommate and I took a bus to Segovia, and our friends took the train. They were the same price and took the same amount of time. The only difference is that the train drops you off a 20 min walk from the city center, but the bus station is only 5 minutes away. We both used the Omio app, which is great for trains, planes, and buses. My advice is to do either, and keep an eye on prices. One weekend the train might be cheaper, and vice versa.

1. Aqueduct

Right in the middle of the city is a huge Roman aqueduct. Standing next to it, I felt like I was in a movie.

2. Calle de Juan Bravo

This is the main road in Segovia. It will guide you from the Aqueduct to the other main sight in Segovia, the castle. Along the way you will also pass by the cathedral, the main plaza, a church, and many shops.

3. Casa de los Picos

At the start of Calle de Juan Bravo is this house. When I researched things to do in Segovia, it popped up because of its unique architecture, but to be honest, it wasn’t that impressive. The house has a normal structure with unique textured walls; however, if you’re in Segovia, you will likely pass this place anyways.

4. Iglesia de San Martin

This church is located within the main plaza along Calle de Juan Bravo. It costs a couple of euros to go inside, which isn’t bad, however, the cathedral of Segovia is much more impressive, so I would suggest saving your money to go inside there.

This plaza is worth mentioning though because it had the best gelato place, Borgonesse

5. Catedral de Segovia

The cathedral in Segovia is very ornate and gorgeous. It is located within another large plaza where there are many cafes and shops.

6. Alcázar de Segovia

The Alcazar is a huge palace located at the edge of the city. It overlooks the surrounding countryside, as well as the rest of the city behind it. The impressive castle was used as inspiration for some of the Disney princesses’s castles. 

There is a cafeteria attached to the ticket office for the castle where we ate lunch. It is fairly priced and has a great view of the city and the surrounding areas.

7. Poetas jardin

Located near the castle, the Poet's garden is a nice place to walk around and explore.

8. Walls of segovia

There are remnants of the old walls of Segovia located around the city. You can climb the stairs to walk along them for a great view of the city.

9. Cochinillo

Cochinillo, or roast suckling pig, is a speciality in Segovia. If you want to experience more of Segovian culture, you can get this dish from most local restaurants.