Living in Spain over Easter

Ryan P.

Hello everybody happy holidays! It is currently the first day back from Semana Santa, holy week here in Spain and Easter back in the States. It's super nice as we get ten days off which we can use to explore Spain and travel. For this Semana Santa, I decided to travel within Spain. This is how it went for me, and maybe this can give you ideas for things to do over holidays here in Spain!

For the first two days, my roommate and I decided to go on a hiking trip down in the South near Tomelloso and Ruidera. If you enjoy the outdoors, Ruidera is a very pretty little town with varias lagunas dotted around the landscape. It made for a very scenic background along our hikes! The Camino route is also right alongside these towns, so it can double as both a hiking trip and a Camino trip if you want it to!

After this I went on a solo trip up to the Basque country. I decided to stay in Bilbao and travel around the rest of the region from there. The first day was spent walking around the city, finding the cool lookout spots, and of course eating the local food, pintxos! I also went to the Guggenheim musuem while I was there, the twin of the one in New York. I highly recommend this musuem if you are into more abstract art. Finally on the last day, I took a trip to San Sebastian to see the famous beaches, such as playa de la concha. San Sebastian is a beautiful city with some great historic buildings and again, wonderful beaches. If you are looking for a weekend getaway, the Basque country should be calling your name

So that was how I spent my Easter here in Spain. Six days total of traveling and seeing new sights, not a bad way! I hope this may give you inspiration or ideas on what to do during your Semana Santa here. Until next time! -Ryan P