Being Alone isn't Lonely

MariaElena K.

It’s been nearly three months since I packed up my life and moved across the world. In honor of reaching this important milestone I want to share one of the most important lessons I’ve learned while being here. 

Being alone doesn’t have to be lonely. 

What a concept! A lesson so simple but hard to swallow being fresh out of college. When I was in college I was always with friends. Dragging them to different coffee shops and events around town. I loved having a buddy, because what would people think if I showed up all alone? It was easier. Indulging in something you liked with a friend made the experience richer since you shared it. You could make a day out of it and a memory you bring up every now and again. In all honesty bringing someone along was more for security than anything. Protecting me from the perceptions of strangers that I would never see again. 

Being far away from my friends that are down for an adventure at any given moment has made me face the reality of this situation. 

Nobody is thinking about you when you’re out and about alone 

Enjoying things on your own is so much fun! 

I get to choose where I go, what I see, where I sit and what I do. I get to make all the decisions on my time. There is something so freeing doing things alone. It’s not easy, I still second guess myself when I walk into a cafe sometimes. The thought of seeming weird because I’m alone floats in but luckily floats away. I’m learning to love this part of my life. I’m learning that just because I’m alone doesn't mean I can’t have fun. It doesn’t mean I don’t have friends. It doesn't mean my experiences are any less rich. 

Of course I still love sharing my experiences. My friends and I have made Madrid ours by finding our own local spots and working hard to become regulars. When they are busy I know I can still have a spot in the city and not be scared of what others think. The best part? Telling them all about whatever I did and planning to go back together. 

Being alone doesn't have to be scary. Remember: The perceptions of people that don’t know you don’t matter. Start small and give yourself some grace. 

Happy 3 months Madrid! Happy to know you, learn from you and grow with you. I can’t wait for more lessons in the new year. 

All my love!