Video Game Design
Experience the game design process, grasp the basics of coding and programming tools, and come home with a simple game you code and create yourself.
Credentials For Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, and your own video game design.
Life Skills And New Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and improved communication skills. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours Of Expert Instruction
Weeks Pursuing Your Passion
Welcome to Kyoto, home of some of the world’s greatest video game franchises.
Japan’s capital for more than a thousand years, Kyoto is the both the center of traditional Japanese culture and a mecca for video gamers. Ancient architecture and serene landscapes blend with numerous gaming cafés and arcades, which host tournaments for new and classic games regularly. The International Manga Museum, featuring gaming titles, and the Nintendo Museum are perfect places to discover the artistic influences behind iconic video game universes. Super Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy—just to name a few—all hail from Kyoto!
There are many remarkable experiences that await. The city boasts zen rock gardens, incredible views of surrounding hills, districts that feel like villages from another era, and 2000 temples and shrines. At restaurants, you can try some of the best traditional flavors the city has to offer, like ramen, sushi, and the most exclusive green teas. In Kyoto's mix of old and new, traditional and modern, you'll discover a city full of inspiration that you can channel into your game design.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Kyoto.
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Experience the marching rhythms of Japanese taiko drumming as you get musical with your fellow Global Navigators.
- Transport yourself into your favorite video game adventures and thrill rides at Super Nintendo World, located at Universal Studios Japan in the city of Osaka.
- Step into virtual reality worlds and release your inner warrior as you become a Samurai or Ninja at Kyoto’s Samurai & Ninja Museum.
- Check out the old Nintendo Uji Ogura Plant, turned into the new Nintendo Museum, displaying a wide array of gaming products from Nintendo’s past.
- Pick out your favorite souvenirs and find hidden Pokémon throughout the world-famous Pokémon Centers in both Kyoto and Osaka!
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)
Pre-departure Advice and Orientation
Access to Local Phone and WIFI
All Cultural Activities and Excursions
Comprehensive Medical and Travel Protection
24/7 Emergency On-site Support
Conor’s passion for Japan began 12 years ago when he studied abroad in Tokyo. He holds an MA in Japanese & Asian History from Saitama University and is a specialist in Kyoto history.