Creative Writing in the Land of Gods & Heroes
Discover Rome through mythology and storytelling. Experiment with different techniques to improve your creative process. Come home with the skills to craft original stories.
Credentials For Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, a creative project to showcase your storytelling skills and increasing artistic literacy.
Life Skills And New Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and improved communication skills. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours of expert instruction
Weeks Pursuing Your Passion
Welcome to Rome, the Eternal City, with its colorful depictions of gods, heroes, and stories from its past.
Walking the streets of Rome is like stepping into a mythological tale. According to legend, the bustling capital of Italy was founded by twins, Romulus and Remus, born in the 8th century B.C. to a human mother and the god of war, Mars. For the Ancient Romans, their rich myths weren't mere narratives; they were considered truth!
As you discover the different districts of Rome, you can stroll along the Tiber River, the very spot where Romulus and Remus were abandoned in a basket. Visit Palantine Hill, where the sacred cave of the she-wolf that saved them is located. Marvel at the bronze statue of Lupa Capitolina, depicting the she-wolf nursing the twins, in the Palazzo dei Conservatori. At every turn, you'll encounter vivid images of exciting stories encompassing themes of war, family, and morality.
In addition to showing off its past, Rome also offers plenty of modernity—window-shop at legendary fashion houses, savor tasty local flavors at restaurants and gelaterias, and spend time in vast city parks, perfect for nurturing your imagination.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Rome.
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Go myth-hunting with your friends all around Rome using passages from ancient Roman authors and excerpts from the Percy Jackson books.
- Immerse yourself in the Circus Maximus and experience the ancient chariot racing stadium where races were held before as many as 250,000 spectators.
- Try yummy flavors at Fassi, Rome's oldest and most famous gelateria dating back to 1880. Find out how traditional Italian gelato is made!
- Travel back in time and spend the day as an Ancient Roman at Roma World, the newest theme park in Rome’s countryside.
- Explore the Campania region and some of the first Greek colonies of southern Italy. Discover the connection between Roman and Greek myths.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)