Information for term Global Entrepreneurship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineNovember 30, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: November 30, 2018
- Dates: Jul 7 – 27, 2019 (3 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Immerse yourself in the Silicon Valley of the East.
For students with an entrepreneurial spirit, Shanghai is a leading-edge city offering opportunities of a lifetime. China’s financial capital is fast becoming a global innovation hub as well, with many calling it the next Silicon Valley. More and more institutions in Shanghai have been investing in entrepreneurship, cultivating talent with academic institutes and government-supported incubators. Science, tech and digital media are just the beginning.
Here you’ll be smack in the center of the innovation scene. Catch the pulse of the megacity on a walking tour of the ultra-modern Pudong New Area. Visit the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone, Shanghai Stock Exchange and World Financial Center, then climb up the famous Oriental Pearl Tower to get a bird’s-eye view of futuristic skyscrapers along the skyline. Other tours and excursions take you behind the scenes of media and tech operations, from Ubisoft’s gaming studios to Shanghai TV.
Back in the classroom, you’ll practice solving problems, developing solutions and marketing them to the world. You’ll collaborate to apply design-thinking skills to topics such as: sustainable development, social entrepreneurship, ideation and innovation, and leadership and business design. During interactive Mandarin classes, you’ll study the language at the level that works best for you: Conversational Chinese for beginners, or Business Chinese for those already studying the language.
You’ll live in a dorm with other international students, do volunteer service work, and get to know the sights, sounds and amazing food and culture all around. You’ll come home with expanded Mandarin language skills, a Global Entrepreneurship certificate for your resume, and the confidence to succeed in whatever comes next.
More than 45 hours of targeted instruction in global entrepreneurial principles and practices
Hands-on experience in building, serving on, and managing project teams
A certificate of learning in Global Entrepreneurship
Location & CultureClick to Open
China’s biggest city is known for its eclectic architecture and excellent food.
East meets West in Shanghai, a bustling world-class metropolis that still retains plenty of old-world charm. Along with historic temples and old-town markets, you’ll find a quirky mix of British and French architecture dating back to the international settlements of the 1920s and 1930s. Home to more than 23 million people, Shanghai now boasts the world’s second-largest economy and some of its tallest skyscrapers.
For such a massive city, it’s surprisingly easy to navigate. Home to the fastest-growing rapid transit systems in the world, Shanghai’s urban centers are conveniently connected by elevated light rails, the world’s first commercial high-speed Maglev train, and 13 subway lines.
Window-shop in chic fashion districts rivaling those in Paris, or find pop-up boutiques, vintage clothing shops, and designer outlets for bargains. Enjoy a range of Western style and traditional Chinese food including stir-fried noodles, fried rice, and baozi, which are steamed dumplings filled with meat and/or vegetables.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blogs.
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided walking tour of the ultra-modern Pudong New Area
- See the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone, Shanghai Stock Exchange and Shanghai World Financial Center
- Then climb up the famous Oriental Pearl Tower to get a birds-eye view of futuristic skyscrapers along the dramatic skyline
- Tour business and manufacturing sites like Shanghai Volkswagen, Ubisoft and Baosteel
- Visit the Fintech Data Center and American Chamber of Commerce
- Tour the Shanghai TV station and the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
- Hangzhou Overnight Excursion – Tour Alibaba’s cutting-edge facilities and get a close-up view of the mobile technology shaping the future of communication. Compare Hangzhou’s latest innovations with its ancient trade traditions, including tea, scissors, umbrellas and silk, as you contemplate China’s dichotomous mix of old and new.
- Yiwu International Trade City Day Trip – Go on a scavenger hunt during a guided tour of the world’s largest wholesale market for small goods.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
|Summer Session II 2019 3 weeks||Nov 30, 2018||Jul 7, 2019||Jul 27, 2019||