Information for term Global Entrepreneurship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineDecember 6, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: December 6, 2019
- Dates: Jul 12 – Aug 1, 2020 (3 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE SILICON VALLEY OF THE EAST.
For students with an entrepreneurial spirit, Shanghai is a leading-edge city offering opportunities of a lifetime. China’s financial capital is fast becoming a global innovation hub as well, with many calling it the next Silicon Valley. More and more institutions in Shanghai have been investing in entrepreneurship, cultivating talent with academic institutes and government-supported incubators. Science, tech and digital media are just the beginning.
Here you’ll be smack in the center of the innovation scene. Catch the pulse of the megacity on a walking tour of Old Shanghai and the ultra-modern Pudong New Area, shape your understanding of the city’s history by strolling through the former French Concession, then climb up the famous Shanghai Tower to get a bird’s-eye view of futuristic skyscrapers. Interaction with founders of local startups and successful entrepreneurs will give you a unique perspective on business in China’s biggest financial hub.
Back in the classroom, you’ll practice solving problems, developing solutions and marketing them to the world. You’ll learn design-thinking skills, how to pitch a proposal, ideation and innovation and cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit. During interactive Mandarin classes, you’ll study the language at the level that works best for you: Conversational Chinese for beginners, or Business Chinese for those already studying the language.
You’ll live in off-campus housing with other CIEE students, have the opportunity for cultural interaction and get to know the sights, sounds and amazing food and culture all around. You’ll come home with expanded Mandarin language skills, a new perspective on Global Entrepreneurship, and the confidence to succeed in whatever comes next.
More than 45 hours of targeted instruction in global entrepreneurial principles and practices
Hands-on experience in building, serving on, and managing project teams
A certificate of learning in Global Entrepreneurship
Location & CultureClick to Open
China’s biggest city is known for its eclectic architecture and excellent food.
East meets West in Shanghai, a bustling world-class metropolis that still retains plenty of old-world charm. Along with historic temples and old-town markets, you’ll find a quirky mix of British and French architecture dating back to the international settlements of the 1920s and 1930s. Home to more than 23 million people, Shanghai now boasts the world’s second-largest economy and some of its tallest skyscrapers.
For such a massive city, it’s surprisingly easy to navigate. Home to the fastest-growing rapid transit systems in the world, Shanghai’s urban centers are conveniently connected by elevated light rails, the world’s first commercial high-speed Maglev train, and 13 subway lines.
Window-shop in chic fashion districts rivaling those in Paris, or find pop-up boutiques, vintage clothing shops, and designer outlets for bargains. Enjoy a range of Western style and traditional Chinese food including stir-fried noodles, fried rice, and baozi, which are steamed dumplings filled with meat and/or vegetables.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blogs.
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided walking tour of Old Shanghai and the ultra-modern Pudong New Area
- Climb up the Shanghai Tower
- Tour business and manufacturing sites like Shanghai Bao-steel Factory or Shanghai Volkswagen
- A site visit to the Fintech Company
- Visit the American Chamber of Commerce
- Learn about the Shanghai Young Bakers initiative
- Participate an entrepreneurship skill workshop
- Guest lectures by local entrepreneurs
- Suzhou Day Trip – Suzhou nicknamed "Venice of the East" for its unique architecture, and its beautiful landscapes and rich cultural heritage. Suzhou is one of the top 10 business cities in China, students will have the opportunity to see both the natural and industrial sides of the city.
- Hangzhou Overnight Excursion – Join a lecture discussion with the experienced entrepreneur in the cashless city Hangzhou. Compare Hangzhou’s latest innovations with its ancient trade traditions, including tea, scissors, umbrellas and silk, as you contemplate China’s dichotomous mix of old and new.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
|Summer Session II 2020 3 weeks||Dec 6, 2019||Jul 12, 2020||Aug 1, 2020||