Women in STEM Orientation

Women for Environmental Action

Danielle Mason

Hola! I’m happy to report that we are finally here in Monteverde after our long trips from all around the U.S. The last leg of our journey was quite an adventure in itself. The seventeen of us (fifteen students and two program leaders) traveled to the campus by bus along the steep and windy roads of Costa Rica. We took a moment to settle in and then found our way down the path to the dining hall for dinner before a much needed rest. We were welcomed by an impressive thunderstorm on our first night in the cloud forest. 

Photo for blog post Women in STEM Orientation

Having arrived after dark, we were in awe of the beauty of our surroundings upon leaving the bungalows in the morning. We gathered for a typical Costa Rican breakfast of fruit, rice, beans, eggs, juice and coffee to get fueled up for orientation. 

We had a session on health and safety while abroad and then a tour of campus that included a taste of the amazing hiking trails we’ll have access to during our stay here. 

Students played cards on the porch and bonded over making beaded bracelets during their downtime. 

After lunch we got to meet the three instructors that will be leading the Women in STEM courses over these three weeks. Gabriela, Jessica, and Alexandra filled us in on what sorts of things we will be learning in class and facilitated a fun scavenger hunt that highlighted different aspects of the campus that relate to science, technology, engineering and math.  

Before going to dinner, Adele lead us in a few ice breakers that had us all laughing and helped us get to know each other better. 

We ended the day with a journalling activity in the outdoor classroom. Reflecting on our first day in Monteverde while listening to the sounds of nature around us was the perfect way to end our first day together.