Where do you go to learn about ice cream?

Beth Billington

Sundae School!!!

The locals here say that we are lucky, that usually it´s hotter than this during the summer. That assertion doesn´t change the fact that a day of 32 degree C (90F) heat leaves us with the desire to consume one food in particular: ice cream. Fortunately, there are heladerías (ice cream shops) on practically every corner in this sweltering city, boasting unusual flavors like Kinder Bueno, Nutella and Kiwi, as well as classic favorites like Strawberry and Vanilla.

To delve into the history of this tradition a bit more, we visited Hablaworld today to learn more about past, present, and future of this frozen delicacy. Although most of us associate ice cream with Italy, we learned today that by some accounts, this tasty treat dates back to China around 200BC. We followed its long, cold journey around Persia, Rome, and India...  it was difficult to keep anything chilled back then!

After a nod of appreciation for the freezers in our lives, we moved on to the most exciting part of the workshop: tasting! Students participated in blind taste tests of different types of ice cream and commented (in Spanish!) about the smell, texture, and flavor of each sample. We all got to watch the magic machine in action as Carlos explained his favorite recipes, and then everyone tasted some artisan ice cream! ¡Qué rico!