What's a "Granada"?

Bailey DeTesta

Aside from being a delicious tart fruit, otherwise known as a pomegranate, Granada is also a culturally rich and immensely beautiful city in Andalusia, Spain. This weekend, our students indulged in their first overnight trip and discovered the vast history of this vibrant city. 

Their adventure started on Friday evening with a three-hour bus ride to Granada. The bus ride was filled with laughter, games, and even some guitar-playing. Upon arrival, they were immediately on the move to tour the Granada city center. Students enjoyed learning about the city while navigating its narrow and shaded streets. One of their favorite tour facts was that every drink purchase comes with a free tapa in Granada. After their tour, they set to the city to try new tapas with their friends. 

Saturday started with a buffet breakfast in the hotel. Students were fueled and ready to take on La Alhambra. La Alhambra has a rich history as a palace and a fortress in both Islamic and Christain empires and is now a monument unlike any other. During their tour, students saw El Generalife, a giant garden perfect for photo ops. They also saw intricate mosaics, open courtyards, Arabic bathrooms, and the famous "Patio de Los Leones." 

During the evening, students joined their group leaders for small group bonding in the city. Some groups chose to go to "Teterías" to try authentic Arabic tea, while others enjoyed tapas with their groupmates. No matter what activity the groups selected, all students spent time discussing their experiences thus far in Granada, and practicing their Spanish. Their day ended with some free time to go shopping in the outdoor markets before returning to the hotel. 

Their final day in Granada was spent in Albaicín, a neighborhood in Granada. There, students saw "Carmenes", which are large Spanish estates. They also explored the streets with their tour guide and appreciated the city's best views. Finally, they entered the Capilla Real to see the tombs of the "Reyes Católicos", Isabel I de Castilla and Fernando II de Aragón. While the students weren't allowed to take pictures inside of the Capilla, it is a memory that they won't soon forget. 

The bus ride back to Sevilla was filled with sleepy students who had spent all their energy exploring over the weekend. They returned in plenty of time to enjoy dinner with their host families and get some rest. This weekend trip left them happily exhausted and ready to take on the program's second half!