What to do in Brussels on Sunday

Sarah Gray

In many European countries shops are closed on Sunday, and Brussels is no exception. But does that mean there's nothing to do? Que non! as they say in French--Sundays offer a wonderful opportunity to explore outdoor markets and take in the culture of summer festivals, and this weekend Global Navigators did just that. 

The early risers first took in mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, for which King Leopold II laid the first stone in 1905 to celebrate 75 years of Belgian independence. 

Those who were hankering for a sleep-in opted for a later departure time, with the city's two main markets in view: the Marché du Midi--Europe's largest food market--and le Marché de Jeu de Balle, a flea market steps from the Porte du Hal metro stop, where visitors can see vestiges of the old fortifications that used to surround medieval Brussels. 

The Marché du Midi astonished in its size and scope--though roughly 50% of the vendors offered fruits, vegetables, and local cheeses, others sold clothing, lace, fabric, shoes, accessories, spices, teas, as well as specialty snacks popular in the Midi neighborhood (one of the areas of concentrated North African population), such as mint tea and honey-soaked Morocan pancakes.

The marché Jeu de Balle was quite different--a crowded public square overcome with every manner of forgotten attic treasure, from jewelry to shoes to vinyl records to antique playing cards. There's something for everyone at the flea market, and the traditional Sunday vide-grenier (empty-your-attic) meet-ups offer a contrast with the American tradition of garage sales, where one tends to expect "like new" items for little expense versus one-of-a-kind pieces for slightly more.

Photo for blog post What to do in Brussels on Sunday

After lunch and a few purchases, the group settled into the Fête de la Musique, a free city-wide music festival that unfolds all across Brussels, but whose main acts perform at the large urban park Le Cinquentenaire. Once inside, the visitors found more treats in the form of local food trucks, plus lawn to lounge on, sun to bask in, and a cool vibe to enjoy.

The headliner on Sunday afternoon was definitely Belgian rapper Isha, who got the crowd exicted with his sweet beats and wicked rhymes.