What is Better than Buying French Pastries? Making Them Yourself!

Yismelle Duran

This week students from the French Language & Culture High School Summer Abroad Program in Paris had the opportunity to do another hands-on activity that they absolutely loved and enjoyed. The pastry workshop gave them a chance to learn about french cuisine and culinary practices, while immersing themselves in the language.  

For the majority of students this was the first time they were using baking techniques to prepare traditional French pastries. For some, this was the first time they were exercising their cooking competences, getting familiarized with certain kitchen tools, and learning by doing. 

Moreover, to complete the tasks at hand they had to use other skills because they were working in teams. Thus,  they had to collaborate, communicate effectively, and support each other to complete every step. 

They prepared three traditional French pastries from scratch: Éclairs, Chouquettes, and Profiteroles!

You can see from the pictures that they enjoyed every moment of this activity. The best part, of course, was eating the pastries afterwards!