A Weekend to Remember: Exploring the City of Erfurt, Germany!

Global Entrepreneurship

Jenae Tiki Matikke

This weekend students experienced life outside of Berlin and explored the pre-historic city of Erfurt, located in central Germany in Thuringia.  Aspects of Erfurt’s history dating back to the prehistoric and middle ages can be seen through its prevalent neo-gothic architecture and Renaissance-style patrician homes. Erfurt is famous for being one of the few places in Europe with a bridge on which businesses and residential spaces are built. This city is an epicenter for tourism and is home to many successful entrepreneurs. 

From exquisite restaurants, bakeries, and ice cream creameries to stores with niches specializing in all things for left-handed people, students were able to experience some of the infinite possibilities that entrepreneurship can offer. Among the highlights was a tour of the city, a group dinner at Ristorante Pavarotti, and tours of the Old Synagogue and the Petersberg Fortress.  Many students enjoyed their experience in Erfurt so much that they are planning to visit again in the future with family!