Weekend in Quisco

Janeen Bost

Quisco is a region in Chile that several Chilean poets called home and what better way to spend our last weekend than to travel to Quisco and visit the third and final house of Pablo Neruda, La Isla Negra. During our time in Chile, we had the opportunity to know more about the renowned poet through tours of his other two homes, La Sebastiana and La Chascona. Our trip to La Isla Negra was one that will leave a lasting impression. La Isla Negra, located on the shoreline, has a nautical theme and large windows that gave Pablo Neruda and now its visitors stunning views of the Pacific from end to end. This is the house where Neruda came write and ultimately became his final resting place.

Visiting La Isla Negra was only one of many activities we did while on our weekend trip. We started our trip off riding bikes through Quintay Vineyard, learning about the history and process of winemaking as well as climate and geographical factors that affect the grapes. During our riding, we saw incredible views of the vineyards with a backdrop of endless mountains. We also encountered emus and horses along the way.

After having lunch at a local restaurant, we went to “Greda: Pomaire, Chile”. Greda means “clay” in Spanish and is also the name of the location, created by using an acronym “GRanja EDucativa Alfarera”. Here, we watched a video about clay and creating with clay, a trade of many in the region. We headed to the manual pottery wheels and with a little help from the instructor, we were able to produce our own pots. We also had the opportunity to work with our hands and form other clay creations. Overall it was a great time and we did not want to leave! We lodged in rustic cabins for the night and then set out for La Isla Negra and later The “Artes Decoratives Villa Lucia” Museum, where we learned about yet another writer and artist that resided in the Valparaiso Region.

Adolfo Couve Rioseco was an artist and writer who was born in Valparaiso. Rioseco was an art professor at two universities, PUCV and then the University of Chile, respectively. He was inspired by people and nature and painted with a simplest look, yet very difficult to reproduce. His work, some of which can be seen at his house-museum in Cartegena, gave a sense of tranquility and peace. He also authored ten books before his death in 1998. Being students of a Language and Culture Program for High School Summer Abroad in Valparaiso means learning and living the arts. This weekend, filled with both hands-on experiences and informational tours, was a great was to sum up our last weekend experiencing life in Valparaiso, Chile.

“Along the Chilean coast, with cold and winter,

when rain falls washing the weeks.

Listen: solitude becomes music once more,

and it seems its appearance is that of air, of rain,

that time, something with wave and wings, passes by,

grows. And the harp awakes from oblivion.”

― Pablo Neruda, Isla Negra: A Notebook