Weekend Exploration: Accra City Tour, Cape Coast, and Kakum

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Rachel McGowan

This weekend we were busy exploring Accra and beyond! On Saturday, we went on a tour of Accra, Ghana's capital city. We began our tour driving to each of CIEE's consolidation points, off-campus locations that we would meet in the event of an emergency, and one of the hospitals recommended by the US Embassy for United States citizens living in Ghana. The tour also took us to Makola Market, Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, and Black Star Square. Students also got the opportunity to learn about the beautiful culture of the indegenious Ga people and see the Atlantic Ocean. 

On Sunday, students traveled to Cape Coast in the Central Region and took a powerful tour of Cape Coast Castle, one of three forts build along the Gold Coast, now Ghana, by Europeans. The students were taught the role of Cape Coast Castle in the slave trade, and were encouraged to share what they learned as they return home. Students also visited Kakum National Park, where they went on a short hike to the canopy of the rainforest, and then walked among the treetops on a series of bridges. All of the students successfully crossed all of the bridges, which required some of them to conquer their fear of heights!

-Sandra and Rachel