Weekend en Normandie

Barbara Swisher

A solemn day in Normandy. 

After breakfast and a bus ride we began our visit, expanding our knowledge of the Deuxieme Guerre Mondiale (the Second World War).  The students visited the Memorial de Caen (Esplanade General Eisenhower).  The Mémorial de Caen is a museum and war memorial in Caen, Normandy,  commemorating World War II and the Battle for Caen. More generally, the museum is dedicated to the history of the twentieth century, mainly focused on the fragility of peace. One travels through the museum, following the events preceding World War II-the rise of the Nazi Party and HItler, the persecution of people of Jewish heritage..  The photos, interviews, and artifacts were powerful and moving. The final portion of the tour was a film covering D-Day.

After a restful break at a beach for a pique-nique.  We visited le Cimetiere American ( Omaha Beach).  The location is calm and peaceful,  overlooking the Atlantic where most of these soldiers gave their lives for freedom of others.We were able to stay for Taps, to witness the lowering of the American flag. This cemetary touched us all in some fashion- connections with our own families and heritage or current world concerns. Indeed a special place.....