A visit to Dublin castle and the Chester Beatty museum

Global Entrepreneurship

Elaina Loyd

Dublin students have been busy! 

In class, they are continuing their group projects in creating a restaurant that would serve to fill a need in the Dublin food scene. Groups are hard at work  creating surveys, interviewing people, and creating a business plan to be presented next week. 

Yesterday's cultural outings included a visit to Dublin castle and to the Chester Beatty museum. Dublin castle included visits to the state apartments to see the beautiul decoration and learn about the famous Irish political figures and the history of the castle. Dublin castle was built in the early 13th century and first housed the English, then later the British, administration. After Ireland gained its independence in 1922, Dublin castle was handed over to the new Irish government. Today it serves as a main governement complex and hosts many tourists each year. 

After our visit to Dublin castle, students headed over to the Chester Beatty museum. The Chester Beatty museum is described as the best museum in Dublin, and one of the best in Europe. The Chester Beatty museum houses 5,000 year old scrolls and many ancient manuscripts. Students really enjoyed this museum as it offered art and artifacts from all over the world. Chester Beatty (1875-1968)  was an incredibly successful American mining engineer and philanthropist.