Transportation in Valpo

Janeen Bost
“A developed country isn’t a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation”. -Gustavo Petro, Colombian Mayor

On Day 17 (June 27), students had the opportunity to go up one of the most famous “ascensores”, or inclines, in Valparaiso, Ascensor Baron, which took us to the top of the Cerro Baron, or Baron Hill, to see the incredible view of the city from above. The view was spectacular, but this cultural excursion also allowed students to use another mode of transportation available to residents and visitors of Valparaiso. This post is inspired by this trip and the many modes of transportation that exist within the city and beyond.

Valparaiso is one of the major metropolitan areas in Chile with both city streets and sea ports. It is also situated closely to other major urban areas such as Vina del Mar and about an hour and a half from the capital city, Santiago. Valparaiso is also home to many different modes of transportation that allow people to travel with ease to their destinations at affordable costs. Depending on your departure and destination locations, there are many different options, mainly public transportation, that people have to choose from.

Autos

One way of getting around the city is in an “auto”, or car. Many people in the city own cars, but from our short time here, I have noticed that it isn’t the most popular option. With limited parking and heavy rush hour traffic, some residents, even those with cars, prefer to choose other modes of transportation. However, it is one of the means to get to and from a place, which is why it’s included in the post. It is a law to wear a seatbelt in Chile so be sure not to forget or you will get cited and fined!

Micros

Whether a car is owned or not, the “micro” is a popular way to travel throughout the city. The “micro” is a bus that has several different paths. The most expensive trip will cost approximately $0.75 American within city limits. There are no bus schedules that are followed and no times posted. Rather, most people can walk just a couple of blocks to a main street and find dozens of micros drive by. During the week, micros that go to a specific location usually drive by every five minutes or so and their destinations are clearly visible and posted in the front of the micro on the windshield. During peak times, be aware that seats may not always be available and standing may be required. Micros will take you to many of the desired locations and will usually get you within a few blocks to your desired destination. If you’re unsure of which bus to take, I have found that residents and bus drivers have been extremely helpful and kind when asked for assistance.  You may have an occasional vendor come on the micro to sell snacks cheaply for those traveling.

Metro

The metro is an effective and easy way to travel throughout Valparaiso. With several stops going from Puerto to Limache, taking the metro allows people to get to their destinations and quickly. Using the metro is easy, too. Load your metrocard with money, swipe your card, and voila! You’re ready to go. There are signs everywhere to ensure you get on the correct side depending on your direction of travel. The cost of the metro ranges from about $0.50 American to about $3.00, depending on the point of origin, destination and time of day traveled, with peak travel times costing a little bit more. The metro comes about every 15 minutes or so starting at about 6:15 a.m. during the weekdays and closing down at around 11:00 p.m. with later start times during the weekends and holiday travel. The metro is often used in combination with other modes of transportation to make your travel time even shorter, such as metro and bus, metro and trolley or even metro and uber. During peak travel times, you may even have a local musician play a few songs for your ride home in the exchange for some “moneda” tips.

Colectivos and Taxis

Colectivos and Taxis are other means to get about the city and surrounding areas. Standard taxis run throughout the day and price is typically a little more expensive than other means of transportation, calculated by a meter on the dashboard based on time and distance. These taxis are black and yellow and can get you where you need to go. Colectivos are similar to taxis, but black in color and run on a predetermined route and is shared among others going along that route. Colectivos can fit up to four passengers. They are also typically cheaper than a traditional taxi.

Trolebuses

If you want to take a moment and travel back in time and save money, troles, or trolleybuses are the way to go. Being one of the oldest in-service trolleys in the world, they are considered a national monument in the country. Trolleybuses are also one of the cheapest modes of transportation, costing about $0.40 American, but have limited destinations, only travel the lower parts of Valparaiso.

Ascensores

Ascensores, or inclines, are a very cheap way to get from the bottom of a cerro to the top instead of climbing many steps or walking up steep paths and hills. At about $0.15 American per trip (up or down) and very little waiting time, you can easily get to the top and then walk to your final destination. Many also have spectacular views of the town from above and would be a great place to see a sunset or take pictures.

Uber

Just like in many parts of the States, Uber is an option for quick travel from point A to point B that does not have a fixed route. Uber is used through the application where you can request a pick up, see the price for your destination and get in and go. This is one of the more expensive options and would be best used if traveling late or during peak times to avoid standing in a metro or if you have bags to take along with you.

Bicicleta and Caminar

Biking and walking are two options to get around. Walking, one of the most popular and definitely cheapest option, is used to get throughout the city. Valparaiso is known for its many cerros, or hills, so caution… if you’re planning to walk to your destination, know where you are going as you may have a very steep hill to climb and/or many steps to take.

Barcos and Botes

Valparaiso, being situated on a coastline, has many boats stationed at the various ports. While many of the ships are used for the importation and exportation of goods as well as larger Navy ships keeping the country safe and controlling the boat transportation and laws of the country, a boat ride is possible and is a great way to tour the city and see important landmarks from a different perspective.

“You can’t understand a city without using its public transportation system.” - Erol Ozan, professor and author