Traditional and Neofuturistic Japan: Asakusa & Sky Tree

Japanese Language & Culture

Kenia Hara

Welcome to Japan! Nihon e irasshai! 

Everyone safely arrived in Japan with a mix of excitement, nervousness, and exhaustion. But we all made friends very fast!

The first few days have flown by in a swirl of emotions and exciting adventures as we toured a couple places in Tokyo.

One stop for some groups was Asakusa, home to one of the oldest and most famous temples in Japan -- Sensoji -- which features the famous Kaminari Gate. Students were excited to experience what for many was their very first Buddhist temple. They learned how to purify themselves with incense smoke, offer coins to make wishes, and test their luck with omikuji -- or paper luck strips. Some of us recieved kichi -- good luck -- but those who received kyo -- bad luck -- were quick to tie it up so their luck would quickly be reversed.

Asakusa also features a wonderful market place with fun edible treats and traditional souvenires. Many of us were quick to buy green tea or strawberry ice cream to stay cool in the blistering Japanese summer heat. It was so exciting to see some students ordering their delicious treats using their newly learned Japanese! Others made sure to buy some useful traditional items, such as fans, or cute festival masks and stuffed animals for family and friends before we left.

Another stop some groups have made was Sky Tree, the tallest tower in Japan and the world! Its build is unique for its fusion of neofuturistic designs and traditional Japanese structures. After exploring the Solamachi Mall at the tower's base, we were fortunate enough to have passes that took us all the way to the tower's highest peak!

Once at the top, many groups enjoyed a fun photo scavenger hunt fashioned by our creative Program Leader, Julia. Students were prompted to take selfies in various parts of the tower, such as the glass floor and the red Sky Tree post box, for prizes! Some tasks also involved asking Japanese locals to take their picture in Japanese. Our time afterwards was filled with omiyage (souvenir) shopping once again before heading safely back to our lodgings.

In just a few days, we are already practicing our Japanese in real-world settings, making new friends, having fun, and learning how to appreciate both traditional and contemporary sides of Tokyo, Japan. We've even learned how to treat the experience of waiting in long lines as part of the Japanese experience.