Throwback Thursday

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Kendra Fisher

With so many ornate and interesting edifices in Buenos Aires, we have had lots of opportunities to explore different buildings and learn about their history and current use. 

Last week we toured Palacio Sarmiento and Palacio Barolo. We learned that Palacio Sarmiento originally housed a school for women. It continues to be a space dedicated to education, boasting an impressive library and art collection. As we toured the art collection, our docents explained some fun facts about different paintings and sketches. 

Afterwards, the docents invited students to create their own art; something that would represent where they are from or their time here in Buenos Aires. It was great to see students laughing and having a good time as they poured out their creativity onto their canvasses.

Later in the week we visited Palacio Barolo, an arquitectural treasure with one of the best views of Buenos Aires. We learned about how the building was inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy. Our ascent into the 'cielo' included crawling up a very narrow, winding stairway in groups so that we could see the lighthouse that operates at the very top of the building. After climbing so many flights of stairs, we were ready to relax by taking in the skyline of Buenos Aires while enjoying some lemonade. 

Enjoy some throwback photos from our visits to Palacio Sarmiento and Palacio Barolo!