Three Acts

Grecia Alvarado

Students are quickly getting in the groove of the Spanish lifestyle and tapping into their well of creativity. 

The guidance of our film professor, Carlos, along with the evocative setting of Sevilla have contributed to the ease with which the students are plunging into their projects with eager excitement. 

In today's project, students are working in pairs or trios, using a story board to write three acts without dialogue. Students were provided a short list of words and had to choose one to base their film on. The list included words such as, pencil, window shopping, map, water and more. 

Although we have just arrived in Seville, we have already seen some of the most beautiful sites in town and delved deeply into the concepts and theories behind film making. Students have gotten real hands-on action in the creation and editing of film, playing with themes such as emotion, pattern and story-telling.

The following is a brief overview of the last couple of days in three acts

Act One: Walking tour of the city. 

In our small groups from orientation, we walked around with a local guide and got to know the city a bit better. We familiarized ourselves with our daily commute to meeting points and major sites of the city, inluding the plazas, cathedrals, monuments and the Guayadquivir River. We also got a chance to take our first ride on the city tram. 

Act Two: Presenting the first project. 

On the second day of class, students got to share their first productions with classmates and professor. This joyous activity consisted of laughter, cheers, feedback, critique, encouragement and discussion. Witnessing the talent each student possesses was inspiring to all. The theme for these videos was emotion. They explored the role pattern plays in film to convey emotion. 

Act Three: Guided tour of the Alcázar Royal Palace. 

Continuing with the theme of film and story telling, we explored the Alcazar palace through a mental lense of a TV Series. As we walked through the palace, we were able to perceive the distinct eras in history as seasons of a television series. We witnessed the contrast in architecture throughout the various kingdoms of Spanish history, Al-Andalus, Castilla y Leon and the Kingdom of Spain under Charles V. As we walked around the palace and gardens, we visualized important historical events that happened in the very rooms we were standing in. From Magellan's contract before departing to explore the Americas, to the justice room where the King would have heard the people's plea for justice. 

The students are really developing their artistic abilities and expression through their time in class, walking around the city and enjoying moments together.

Tomorrow we are off to the ancient port city of Cádiz to get more sunshine, fresh air and sandy beaches.