Tangier Excursion

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Kamera Bracey

Tangier, a Moroccan port on the Strait of Gibraltar, has been a strategic gateway between Africa and Europe since Phoenician times. Its whitewashed hillside medina is home to the Dar el Makhzen, a palace of the sultans that's now a museum of Moroccan artifacts. The American Legation Museum, also in the medina, documents early diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Morocco in an 1821 Moorish-style former consulate. Students got to spend the day exploring the diverse city. They first started out by visiting the beautiful and picturesque Cave of Hercules and Cape Spartel. Both places are unique because they over look both the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Students even got to see part of southern Spain's coastal cities.  Later they enjoyed a delicious lunch at an association and got a chance to see tapastry makers making an abundance of beautiful handmade items. After the lunch, students went on a guided tour viewing the historic old medina. Tangier is also the origins of tangerines, which students thought was a cool fun fact!