A Sweet and Adventurous Journey: High School Students Explore the Dominican Republic

Leadership & Service in Public Health

Megan Hoeffler

Blog post written by one of our PL’s Julianna Martinez.

Embarking on a study abroad program can be a life-changing experience for high school students. For a group of 14 students from the US, their 21-day adventure in the Dominican Republic continues to be filled with excitement, cultural immersion, and unforgettable memories. One particular highlight of their journey was the unforgettable overnight trip they had on a Friday to Sunday weekend. So, Let's dive into the delightful getaways these young explorers had during their extraordinary excursion.

-Friday, July 21st: A Cacao Adventure-

The students' Friday afternoon began with a visit to the known "Kufa" cacao farm, where they deepened into the captivating world of chocolate-making. They were taken through the complex process of transforming cacao beans into the exquisite chocolate the Dominican Republic is known for. A highlight of the visit was savoring the rich and authentic taste of 100% cacao chocolate, a true treat for the taste buds.

Later that day, the group made their way to the "Sosua by the Beach" hotel, a stunning beachfront location that set the stage for an unforgettable weekend. After a delightful dinner, they enjoyed some free time at the hotel's pool, strengthening friendships and creating bonds that would last a lifetime.

-Saturday, July 22nd: Exploring Nature's Gems-

Saturday began with a hearty breakfast, fueling the students for a day of exploration in Rio San Juan. Their destination was the breathtaking "Cueva de las Golondrinas" or Swallows' Cave. By boat, they marveled at the beauty of this natural wonder, appreciating the magic of Mother Nature's creation.

Next, the group ventured to a tranquil natural pool in the sea, with its crystal-clear waters and vibrant turquoise hue. The captivate of the surroundings was simply irresistible, inviting the students to swim, laugh, and enjoy the beauty that surrounded them. The afternoon was spent on the hotel's beautiful and enchanting beach, where they played volleyball, swam in the tranquil waters, and enjoyed each other's company under the sun.

-Sunday, July 23rd: A Day of Farewells and Sweet Memories-

As Sunday arrived, it was time to say ‘hasta luego’ to the Sosua Hotel. The students departed to Puerto Plata, a charming city filled with history and character. At the "Koffee" restaurant, they had a delicious Dominican lunch, savoring the flavors of the local cuisine.

Strolling through the enchanting "pink street" and the vibrant "umbrella street," the students embraced the city's charm and spirit. They took home souvenirs to cherish the memories they made during their time in the Dominican Republic.

The trip concluded with a delightful ice cream experience at "Choco Lovers," where unique ice cream flavors made from fresh fruits were served in the fruit's own shell. Mango, pineapple, coconut, dragon fruit, and even chocolate were among the flavors they savored—a perfect conclusion to their memorable weekend getaway.

For these 14 high school students, their overnight weekend trip to the Dominican Republic was overflowed with unforgettable adventures, cultural discovery, and camaraderie. From learning about cacao and diving in chocolate to exploring natural wonders and savoring local delights, their journey was a true feast for the five senses. More importantly, this trip created lasting bonds between students from different states, uniting them in shared experiences and an appreciation for the beauty and diversity of the world. As they said farewell to beautiful Sosua and Puerto Plata, they carried home not just souvenirs, but a treasure of memories that will inspire them for years to come.