Surfs Up!

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Haleigh Donovan

To wrap up another great week in Lisbon, we traveled over the Ponte 25 de Abril Bridge to Rainha beach at Costa da Caparica, where we were greeted by smiling surf instructors and a gnarly swell. We slithered into our wetsuits, grabbed surfboards, and barreled down toward the ocean. There, our instructors gave us a short land demonstration of proper surf technique. "Pull your chicken wings in to your sides, create a 90-degree angle with your knee, turn your foot out the side, and whatever you do: Don't look down!" And with that, our group was ready to hit the waves. 

With confidence and ease, many students were able to stand up on their first try. But, with high winds and a brutal current, others were rocked by the waves. However, that didn't stop our persistent group. With the assistance and guidance of our instructors, almost everyone stood up by the end of our session - which lasted upwards of three hours. Our exhausted group collapsed on the beach for lunch with the resounding agreement that our surf session was "sick."

After lunch, we were greeted by our teachers, because what better place is there to have class than the beach? Our group split in two. Diogo taught a lesson on surface water versus deep water, the temperature on the seashore and upwelling in the northern versus the southern hemispheres. Upwelling is a process in which deep, cold water rises toward the surface. While Anna helped conduct a science experiment to replicate the process of CO2 in the ocean. Through this experiment, we were able to see what happens to the ocean water when it becomes more acidic. 

After class, our group had some time to play games and enjoy the beautiful beach. While some chose to venture back into the frigid waves, others participated in an impromptu sand castle contest. Despite the wind blowing our umbrellas across the beach umpteen times and a few sunburned faces (we all reapplied sunscreen - I promise!), a great time was had by all!