A Student's Perspective: Ellie R.

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Alli Sarfati

Today we visited the freshwater aquarium in Mora. Throughout the program so far we have learned a lot about different ecosystems and the differences that occur in freshwater versus saltwater. This aquarium was an interesting way of displaying these two different marine ecosystems (saltwater versus freshwater) and tying in all that we have learned during the first week of the program. We started out by looking at the source of a river and the species that can be found there, then we moved through the freshwater to the display of the brackish waters (where saltwater hits freshwater) as well as the ocean display. Both showed the biodiversity that exists in different types of marine habitats. 

Photo for blog post A Student's Perspective: Ellie R.

After the aquarium we had a picnic in the shade, (because it gets really hot under the Portuguese summer sun), where we had pasta salad. When we had finished our lunch we got on the bus and headed to the historic city of Evora.

Once arriving in Evora, we walked around the city a bit before arriving at a cathedral covered with bones. This cathedral was incredibly interesting because of the history behind it, despite being slightly creepy. After walking in, you could see that the walls were lined with bones that were set up in different patterns. Also, behind the glass wall that protects people from grabbing the bones, there was two real corpse that, we learned, were murdered by Napoleon’s army. Once we had successfully looked around, the group was allowed free time to shop around the quaint town of Eviora. The small shops and handmade items along with free gelato(!) made the afternoon very fun.

Next we got back on the bus and traveled back to Lisbon were we stopped at a restaurant for dinner. The restaurant (L Bistro) is owned by the same person who brings us dinner for our hostel, and overall we had a good time (and a delicious meal). It was great to see Chef Bernardo in his element. 

After that we went back to our hostel and hung out in the hammocks at the hostel before going to bed.  Tomorrow is another exciting day in Portugal! 

Obrigada por ler!  Thanks for reading!