Student Takeover! This blog post was written by LC Session 1 student Miguel Gonzalez del Castillo

Penelope de Leon

¡Hola de Palma de Mallorca! We’ve just now entered week 2 of our program and couldn’t be more excited. This week, we started with our cultural activity by learning the fundamentals of flamenco. We knew the variety of flamenco styles, the origination, the utilization of different instruments, and even the choreo for Bulerías (although it did take us a couple of tries to perfect our clapping and dancing). However, practice leads to perfection, and eventually, we were able to tie a complex system of clapping and moves together for a beautiful display of passionate dancing. 

Photo for blog post Student Takeover! This blog post was written by LC Session 1 student Miguel Gonzalez del Castillo

For day 2, we decided to work on our projects early to have more time to prepare for El Noche de San Juan later in the week. After this, we enjoyed our lunch and continued to our class. Once our fun learning time was over, we headed to a different classroom to learn the history and origination of handheld fans. If you don’t already know, it can get very hot sometimes, and AC isn’t a common thing like the USA. Due to this, handheld fans are a massive part of Spanish culture (for both comfortability and style). We learned how Spaniards would communicate with fan signals and even got to paint our fans.