¡¡Student Spotlight: Guest post by Rachel!!

Spanish Language & Culture

Karina Suarez Luna

Hello! I am Rachel Cervantes, one of the 11 students on the Language & Culture trip! I am super excited to be able to write this week's blog because we did some super exciting things this week!
At the start of our week on Sunday, we had a family day! Each of us did something different and unique with our host families! Some of us went to ride bicycles on the Biciruta along Paseo de Montejo, some of us learned to cook some delicacies of Yucatán,  while a few went to the local zoo! We all had a well spent weekend with our family away from home!

The next day, we went to school as normal, but on this Monday we got to have some birthday cake unlike our other Mondays! It was Karina's birthday this past weekend, and we got to celebrate! Happy Birthday Karina!
We had an enjoyable time with each other among the next few days, playing games and taking silly pictures.

On Tuesday, we went to view the Government Building while out on our Misión Ñ (part of our school assignment).  It sits right on the Plaza! We went in to view the massive murals that lie inside its walls! These paintings portrayed the story and history of the Mayans, and what they had to face to regain their rights in the Yucatán.

On Wednesday, we were able to go to a restaurant, De la Unión, to build our own tacos! We had the opportunity to roll the maize mixture, press it, and put it on the stove! Afterwards was the easy part, filling it with our favorite meat and condiments! We loved our tacos!

On Friday, we are going to take another Salsa class! How fun! We love trying to show off to each other! LOL!
We all have been missing our families during our third week in Mérida,MX; but we all love being here and having an experience of a lifetime! See y'all in about a week! (Sorry, I'm Texan!)

-Rachel C. 17 years old