Student Spotlight: Day Trip to Casablanca by Kamiah B.

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Nina Wineburgh
Yesterday we spent the day in Casablanca! 

First we went to Hassan II Mosque, named after the old king. Going to one of the largest mosques in the world was fantastic - it is the largest in Morocco, the second largest in Africa, and the fifth largest in the world. With the laughs from others as well as the program directors help, my group and I had a successful day. Walking in the mosque where thousands of people pray was astonishing. The building was as tall as an giraffe with a background that blew my mind. It took 6 years from 1987 to 1993 to build the building and tons of people come to pray 5 times a day. The king himself comes two times a year to participate in a prayer and sits next to imam, the man who leads the prayer. The mosque has a beautiful architecture with titanium metal for the doors and 57 chandeliers. 

We also went to the Old Medina which shows where Morocco culture comes from. From the clothing to the small bracelets, the culture is filled with wonderful aspects that makes Morocco different from America. 

Later, we visited the Morocco mall, the largest mall in Africa. The mall was packed with people and “interesting” as one of my peers say while walking into every store. The food was superb as well. In the mall, a lot of things caught my eyes like such: a fish tank in the middle of the mall, the mosque on the bottom floor and the dome shape it had. With the amazement of discounted Birkenstocks and singing American songs during our drive, I can say our trip was successful.

- Kamiah B.