Session 2 has started !!

Japanese Language & Culture

Chisa N.

こんにちは!!Hello from Japan!!

Session 2 started a week ago, and students could explore the cities in Tokyo such as Asakusa, Ikebukuro, and Akihabara!

In Asakusa, there's a Sensoji Temple, the oldest and most significant Buddhist temple in Tokyo. It has a grand entrance gate known as Kaminarimon, a busy retail district called Nakamise, and a large hall where guests can pray. Some students bought Japanese traditional goods such as chopsticks with beautiful traditional Japanese patterns, and Sensu, a Japanese folding fan. It was interesting to see the difference between the modern shopping street and the Asakusa shopping street (Nakamise) which has existed since 628. 

In Ikebukuro and Akihabara, we can get to see anime/manga culture which impacted a lot to Japanese pop culture. They enjoyed the blend of traditional and modern elements in Tokyo. What activity the students enjoyed the most is the aquarium in Ikebukuro, we can get to learn some Japanese vocabulary that is related to sea animals. They also could speak to local people in Japanese a lot, and even students speak Japanese with their friends as well, which made me happy! 

We also have many plans and activities coming up from week 2, so stay tuned for more blogs!