San Ceferino

Cailey Oehler

Cailey Oehler

We took our last Saturday in Argentina to visit an estancia, or ranch, about an hour outside the city. Students had opportunities to enjoy bicycles, tennis courts, a playground, and a heated indoor swimming pool in small groups throughout the day. We all enjoyed the opportunity to get some fresh air.

We were also treated to a tour of the grounds which include a tambo where milk is processed into dulce de leche and Gouda cheese, and  enjoyed a tasting of these homemade treats as well as homemade jams with oranges and strawberries cultivated on the property. We saw a variety of historic wagons and riding implements and learned from Felix about the gaucho clothing, tools, and way of life. We ate a delicious and abundant  lunch of empanadas and typical asado (roasted meats) and more dulce de leche with flan for dessert.

After lunch we attended a performance by a guitarist alongside a bonfire while snacking on mate and sweet torta frita. Students were treated to a break from routine and an opportunity to learn more about Argentine culture beyond the hustle and bustle of city life in Buenos Aires.