Retreat in the Mountains: A Journey to Nikko

Japanese Language & Culture

Yan Zhen

Introduction:

As the first half of our immersive language program in Japan drew to a close, our students bid farewell to their host families and hotel friends, brimming with excitement for the next chapter of their journey. Whether it was mastering the art of independence in a hotel setting or adapting to life in a traditional Japanese household, the second half promised new challenges, opportunities, and connections. But before embarking on this next phase, our students were treated to a memorable weekend in the historical mountainous countryside of Nikko.

A Journey into History: Edo Wonderland

Early on a Saturday morning, filled with anticipation, our students gathered their luggage and boarded the bus, accompanied by tour guides eager to explore the wonders of Nikko. As we journeyed away from the bustling cityscape of Tokyo, our guides offered fascinating insights into Japanese society and architecture, unveiling hidden details we often overlooked on our busy days. For example, the Bank of Japan from a bird’s eye view is shaped like the kanji for yen. Many of our students slipped off to sleep as the bus drove on the highway north. 

Our first destination was Edo Wonderland, a captivating historical theme park that transported us back to the Edo period of Japan. Here, the students experienced life as it would have been centuries ago. From running through slanted houses meant for ninja training to witnessing a colorful Oiran procession of high-ranking courtesans, they were immersed in the vibrant culture of old Japan. The magic show, showcasing water tricks from a bygone era, left us in awe of the country's rich heritage. Some students even tried on traditional kimonos and yukatas to capture the essence of the Edo period in pictures. And some students just wanted to enjoy a ice cold treat under wind chimes blowing in the air. 

Welcomed by Tradition: The Ryokan Experience

After a day filled with enchanting experiences, we arrived at a charming, traditional Japanese ryokan. Welcomed by the warm and hospitable hotel staff, we settled into our tatami rooms, ready for an evening of indulgence. The grand banquet hall presented us with a delightful spread of Nikko's regional delicacies, including Yuba, a specialty made from bean curd. As we savored the delectable dishes, the unique flavors spoke volumes about Nikko's culinary heritage.

With the night ahead of us, the students enjoyed their free time around the hotel. Some took leisurely strolls with program leaders, soaking in the tranquil surroundings. Others sought relaxation in the large onsen (hot spring) at the hotel, easing their tired muscles. There was even a group that enthusiastically belted out their favorite tunes during a lively karaoke session.

A Scenic Farewell: Exploring Nikko's Natural Beauty

The following day began with a visit to the breathtaking Kegon Waterfall, a truly scenic wonder that left us in awe of nature's grandeur. We continued our journey to Lake Chuzenji, situated 1269 meters above sea level, providing us with picture-perfect backdrops for countless Instagram selfies. We stopped for a short lunch making our way to the last stop of our trip. 

Our last stop in Nikko was the iconic Toshogu Shrine, the final resting place of the first Tokugawa shogun. The shrine held significant historical value, as the Tokugawa shogunate marked a pivotal era of peace following centuries of warfare. The intricate details of the shrine's architecture, pointed out by our knowledgeable guides, highlighted the craftsmanship and reverence held for this remarkable structure.

Embracing the Next Chapter: Tokyo Beckons

As we bid farewell to the enchanting Nikko, we returned to Tokyo, where our students embarked on the next phase of their language program. Home-stay students were greeted at the Intercultural Institute, where they met their host families for the first time. Excitement mingled with a hint of nervousness as they learned about their routes home and sat down for dinner with their new families.

Meanwhile, the other students settled into the Comfort Hotel in Higashi-Nihonbashi. Here, they received a brief orientation, familiarizing themselves with the hotel's rules and expectations, emphasizing the importance of respecting common facilities and adhering to curfew times. This marked the beginning of the next leg of their journey, a continuation of learning, growth, and cherished memories.

Conclusion:

The weekend adventure in Nikko was a beautiful interlude in our language program, providing our students with an opportunity to immerse themselves in Japan's historical and natural wonders. As they moved forward to embrace new challenges and experiences, the memories of Edo Wonderland, the traditional ryokan, and the serene beauty of Nikko would forever remain etched in their hearts, inspiring them to finish their journey strong and filled with happiness. The journey continues, and we eagerly await the stories and growth that lie ahead for each of our students.