From Quarantine to Freedom

Ashlyn Thomas

Although the first few days of the program were met with some challenges such as adjusting to a new diet and separating the group of 25 into two pods, it provided students with an opportunity to ease into their new host culture, grow as young travellers, and get to know peers from all over the country. 

The first zoom class after orientation included a vigorous debate on the role of global citizenship. Students addressed the essential question: what is our responsibility when it comes to balancing national interests with helping other countries in need?  Some students maintained that it is the responsibility of the West to support countries in the Global South, believing that the resource advantage in the West is a result of centuries of exploitation of the Global South. Other students remarked on the negative side effects of intervention and aid by the West, while others commented on how the pandemic has highlighted the need to put global interests above national ones. 

The following morning was our last in quarantine and the group met with local Portuguese college students. We learned about the stark differences between Europe’s educational system and our own, especially with respect to how cheap college can be in Europe and also how different campus life is compared to the United States. 

In the afternoon, we had our first guest speaker, who was from the United Nations and was one of Portugal’s first female diplomats. She shared about her personal journey to becoming an ambassador and the most pressing challenges facing the UN in the coming years.  

On Thursday, it was finally time to be released from quarantine and the students could not have been more excited to explore more of what Lisbon has to offer, go shopping, and see a few new sites. After successfully navigating Lisbon’s metro system, we arrived at the Study Center for their first on-campus class. Classes will take place in the Social and Human Sciences building of one of Lisbon’s best universities, NOVA for the duration of the program. After lunch at Lisbon’s largest shopping center right down the street from our dorm, students enjoyed the much-anticipated visit to Benfica Stadium.

While wandering the halls of the Benfica museum, students ran into none other than Luisão, one of Benfica’s greatest players of all time who happened to be doing interviews that day. He was even kind enough to allow the students to get a picture with him in the very exhibit that memorializes his legacy!

Friday brought the heat (temperatures in the low 90s) and after a long day working on proposals for the group projects on campus, there was a surprise in the evening: a trip to Carcavelos Beach! It was well-deserved after a week chock-full of new experiences, a few zoom classes, two Portuguese language lessons, countless activities, and some intense heat. 

As we head into Week 2 of the Program, there will be even more excursions, activities, guest speakers, and awesome debates that will continue to grow, challenge, and amaze the students in many unexpected ways!