Protecting the Earth

French Language & Culture

Brian Herman

We have all heard some variation of the four Rs of sustainability: Reduce, Recycle, Recycle, Renew. This week, our students visited La Glanerie...an organization in Toulouse that exists to protect the environment by giving new life to objects people no longer want or need. La Glanerie is a non-profit organization that puts a premium on environmental and human values. 

During our visit, students attended a workshop in which they used repurposed materials to make change purses (a particularly useful items here as coins hold a lot of value). They also received an in-depth tour of the facility to see the lengths the Glanerie goes to to sort and repair items for resale in their two boutiques in Toulouse. 

Over the last three weeks, we have done a lot of fun and educational activities. They have been balanced between fun, history, art appreciation, exercise, and the list goes on...This visit gave us a renewed appreciation of our collective responsibility to protect the environment for future generations.  

What an amazing week we have had in Toulouse.